Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back by Popular Demand

... by popular, I mean TWO people! hehehe

American Idol ELTON JOHN WEEK!


Scotty - Do I even need to tell you? He sang Elton John's only country song. A touching moment was when he gave a shout out to his grandma, it was so sweet. I am so glad he had his guitar to keep him from gently caressing the microphone like usual. The performance was right up his ally... a tad forgetable. I'm just waiting for the voters to get tired of his style. If they don't then he might possibly be a male Carrie Underwood for them.

Naima - "I'm Still Standing" and she turned it Reggae... and had a fake Bob Marley Jamacian accent! Oh My. I haven't heard this accent before when she was singing Umbrella. I'm so ready for her to leave, even though I give her credit for being brave/random. I can't take her outfits much longer and her voice just doesn't compare. Ugh.

Paul- I had high hopes for him doing Elton John. He did "Rocketman." He wore his crazy rose jacket and his teeth were a'blazin'. He started out too quiet for me, a little too feminine. He lacked power for me, and Rocketman NEEDS power! He fell short on this one for me, and the whispering singing ended on a bad note (or not one at all!)

Pia- "Don't let the Sun go Down on Me" She was definitely channeling JLo herself with her sparkley long sleeve mini, cute! I haven't really heard this song but of course she sang it perfectly. Sometimes perfection is boring. Some of the high notes were screaming Jessica Simpson style again, and a little nasaly. She did well.

Stefano- "Tiny Dancer," my all time favorite Elton John song, probably one of my fave songs of all time, reminds me of fun college times at The Tap! I was worried since he was a wildcard save taking on this song. He looks like a young Tybalt on the new Romeo and Juliet. This song is so epic and he did me proud! A very solid performance. I wish he'd hold some notes longer and connect the song together better, it's a little abrupt at times, but overall I enjoyed it!

Lauren- "Candle in the Wind" Love, love LOVE this song. She started at a higher octave and it made me really nervous, but OMG I could definitely hear this on the radio as a country cover. I LOVED this version, the way she tenderly hit those high notes, I am obsessed with this version. I would download it in a heart beat! Yay! the one to beat so far. Oh, and Steven Tyler likes her a LITTLE too much, creepy! Her hair looks great too!

James- "Saturday Night's Alright"A rock-n-roll theme no doubt, he took Steven's advice to not become "too pop-y." It was a fun and energetic performance, you can tell he has SUCH a blast up there, you can't help but love this kid. Fire on the piano?? They go all out for this guy. Obviously, I would never buy his album or listen to him on 94.5 the Buzz, but i can't deny his talent!

Thia - sang "Daniel," love her little dress! Ok, back to boresville we go...oh man. I think the kiddos won't get this song or her performance. She did much better when she acts/sings her age. I wasn't entertained or wow'd. Obviously she can sing cicles around me.... it's the top 11, they are good. But stakes are HIGH now and she's not doing it for me!

Casey - sang "Your Song"... personal story here, this was my mom's song with her college boyfriend, and Chelsea loves to tell me, " Hey! This is your Mom and almost dad's song!" So funny...Anyways, great song to redeem yourself on! I smiled this whole performance... I was happy for him and happy for this song. I almost teared up! The ending rocked the most, I heard a little old Casey and refined Casey all in one. Great Great Great!! Awesome! So happy he was saved!

Jacob - "Sorry is Hardest Word" I feel like when he sings his nose is full... maybe he needs a decongestant... I can make that happen. I am typing and not paying attention to him. This is a typical performace for him, I see he's about to cry at the end... Hmm... Meh. Good job. Give him some DANG critiques judges...he's not appealing to EVERYONE.

Haley - "Benny and the Jets" I guessed she would sing this... not lying, Josh is the witness! Mostly because it was the last one I could think of that hadn't been sung. I prefer her hair straight, unlike Lauren who I prefered curly like tonight. This was good song choice for her. She's kinda fun. Kinda akward. All rolled into one. Few too much yelling, and ending was weak...overall I think she did enough to stick around. Shocking to just hear Randy say "best performance of the night," though!

Ok, ladies and gents. TWO will go home next week. My WORST and please for-the-LOVE go home will be NAIMA. Joining her in the bottom will hopefully be Thia. I need to add a guy to the mix...this is hard...Josh said Stefano, but his song choice was so good, I think he held his own. I'm going to go crazy and say Scotty or Paul. Paul was just weak with Rocketman and didn't do it justice I think, and maybe people are bored with Scotty? Either way Naima and Thia BETTER go home! We'll seeeee...

3 comments:

Courtney Squillante said...

Love it!! And I totally agree with you on everything! Thanks for bringing your post back- even if it is for all two of us ;)

Cajun Cowgirl said...

I agree that Naima needs to go! Loved James' "Your Song" and I'm usually a Paul fan. He just didn't hit it for me. It was too Jason Mraz-y when it didn't need to be. We'll see!!!

Anonymous said...

You nailed it girl!