Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Top 13 AI Recap

It's that time of year again!! NOOO Not March Madness, could care less...also, is it baseball season? I wouldn't know. All I know is that it's AMERICAN IDOL SEASON! Whee!


OK, so I literally took notes last night, we're going to get serious this year and make some good judgements and predictions, I would love your input as well.


The Top 13 are a really good group, and some are really young...15 or 16 years old! Can I just say that they were born in 1996! Yeah... Anyways! Here's a recap of the night!



1. Lauren A. - Sang "Any Man of Mine" by Shania. It was so kareoke to me, it didn't show off her voice at all. She looked super nervous, though she is only 16 and it was the first perfomance of the night... I just think she needs to pick better songs, because she really is good, better than Taylor Swift at singing.


2. Casey Abrams - He sang the Wonder Years song. It truly was amazing. He is really great, funny, relatable. I freaking love that song, and even Josh says he likes this guy!


3. Ashthon Jones - This was one of the wildcard saves from the judges, and I'm just NOT impressed. She was OVERLY silver, big silver dress, nastey silver eye shadow and huge Snookie silver hoops. It was a forgettable performance and she's hopefully going home.


4. Paul McDonald - He has the whitest teeth EVER. He sang "Come pick me up" by Ryan Adams. He is very unique and I love this song, but he just didn't do it justice and I was distracted by his creepy dancing. I didn't wow me, and I was sad because he was awesome last week. He's still really cute and will make it through.



PAUL


5. Pia - She is probably the most beautiful constestant AI has ever had! I really am in love with her, she's so sweet and humble and amazing. Not convinced she'd win yet, she hasn't been uber-creative, she just rocks at singing, she even did Celine Dion "All by Myself" which is SO hard. A few of the high notes were screaming, but over all, very impressed!



PIA


6. James Durbin - He is the contestant who suffers from Terrets Syndrome and has a baby. He has sounded almost identical to Adam Lambert and I just wasn't a fan, UNTIL TONIGHT. He did Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" and I was blown away. It wasn't a bunch of screaming like usual, he sounded great actually singing and it was probably my favorite of the night!


7. Haley R. - She sang Patsy Cline this week, a huge change from Alicia Keys (which she rocked). I have no critiques about her singing, she's almost flawless, but I will say that she was a little "Boresville." Josh agreed. And so did Randy. She's secretly really pretty, like girl next door and I really hope she sticks around and choses a better, more exciting song.


8. Jacob - This boy is in his own league, a soulful singer who did R. Kelly's "I Believe I can Fly." He has been so impressive this season, it's hard for him to top himself. Josh LoL'ed when he mentioned Space Jam. Ok, so some of y'all will disagree, but I just feel there is no way he'll win. He's amazing and can record Christian or Adult Contemporary right now, but he's just not mainstream enough for American Idol. That's just what I think! Remember Taylor Hicks? That went far.


9. Thia - Oh little Thia, only 15 years old, voice like an angel, sang "Smile" by Michael Jackson, probably because Randy said she sounded like MJ last week. Basically, it was Boresville, USA. The begininng was pretty, then they changed it up in the middle and it was just a weird remix. Didn't work for me.


10. Stefano - I love that they saved this guy, he's awesome and very marketable. I think the little girls will love him and vote for him. However, he sang Stevie Wonder's "Lately" and it just wasn't a popular song and since I didn't know it, I couldn't get into the performance. I'm still a fan of his and know he'll go through.


11. Karen Rodriguez - UGH. So predictable. We get it. You're Latina. She sang Selena "When I Fall in Love." She sings very well, but brought nothing new to the table, sounded kinda bad at the lower notes, and there was no WOW. I was shocked she didn't bust out in Spanish again this time.


12. Scotty - Idol's resident cowboy has always been one of my faves so my expectations were really high. I was VERY disapointed at his song choice, "The River" by Garth Brooks. Don't get me wrong, that song rocks, but if you know Scotty's voice, he would do better to sing Johnny Cash or Randy Travis, some one more old school country, not a pop/rock version of country that Garth sometimes brings to the table. This just didn't fit Scotty's voice. As Josh asserted, "He wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst."


13. Naima - This "unique flower"as her name means, really is out there. She did Rhianna's "Umbrella" and I was like huh? I was left confused yet surprisingly entertained as she sang and ultimately started rapping and break dancing. It was a cool performance minus the singing, LoL. No one else took that many chances, so I hope she gets to move on.



NAIMA

So there ya go! My predictions for the chopping block tonight will be Thia & Ashthon. If I had to pick a guy that was last in my view, I guess Paul, that's hard though. I guess we'll see tonight!

4 comments:

The Crosland's said...

You are too cute that you do this! Do you watch Bachelor? If you do there is a girl that graduated from Baylor and she does recaps and they are hilarious!! Check her out, you could do this for Idol! www.ihategreenbeans.com

We need to get together because we are not far! :)

Dianna said...

You were right about Ashthon going home!

Courtney Squillante said...

I LOOOOVE it! And I seriously agree with you on everyone! I can't stand Karen though! And I'm sick of Naima crying all the time- suck it up! Otherwise, I love them all! :)

Kelly Jean said...

You are so freaking funny lol. Love that you took notes. Love that you and Josh watch it together. I haven't seen it this season, but I feel well informed thanks to your blog! :D