Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Set backs...

Dealing with a newborn and post partum depression isn't easy.  And God threw a curveball at us yesterday.  Claire has hip dysplasia, her right side is pretty bad and the left is almost better.  Dr. Brock, a pediatric ortho, was very nice yesterday and explained everything as best he could.  I missed a lot of it through my tears.  I'm so glad Josh was there to listen and be rational.  Claire had 3 out of the 4 traits that lead to hip dysplasia:  First born, girl, breech.  Four out of 1000 babies are born with this.

I was just so sad for her, and worried that she'd have problems walking and playing and doing all the things that kids want to do.  The Dr. said that we caught it early and 98% of babies get better with this Pavlik Harness.  Her right side hip socket was at 29% and her left was 45%.  They need to be at 50% to be healed completely.  In 3 weeks, they'll do another ultrasound to see the progress so far.

She has to wear it 24/7 for 6 weeks.  I have to go once a week to Dr. Brock for harness adjustment and she can take a bath there.  I'm so upset about not bathing her at home and having so much trouble holding her and knowing how to comfort her. Dr. Brock brought in another mom to share her experience with her son. She was really nice and said she cried the whole first day too.  She will be a good resource, and I'll see her next week.  Apparently all the hip kids come at the same time for their adjustments and baths.  I should get her number.  Speaking of numbers, Dr. Brock gave us his cell phone for any questions or to send a picture of the harness if we think it got messed up looking.  He gave me a hug and seems like a very great doctor.

She was very upset last night, hated the harness and cried all night.  Josh and I are in for a long 6 weeks (as if the first 6 weeks weren't hard enough!)  She was just getting the hang of sleeping and now this!

I really really hope that this works and she is better.  The alternative is surgery and casts and possible limp.  Please please, God let her get better and give me strength to get through this, I feel weak and just not cut out for this.  Her constant crying so so hard, I really hope she gets used to this contraption soon.

POOR BABY

The other mom said that the Baby Bjorn was ok to use, so luckily Claire is sleeping on me right now in the carrier.  Our house has fallen apart and I smell like sour milk and I actually had a dream about buying toothpaste last night.  Seems I should take a hint from my subconscience.

Taking it one day at a time...

6 comments:

Dianna said...

Oh Erin, I am sorry you are having to deal with this. It must be tough but oh my goodness she looks so cute in that harness thing! Continue to take it one day at a time and rely on your family and friends when you are struggling. You are a great mommy and you will get through this. Thinking of you : )

Mrs. Brandy De La Cruz said...

Prayers are with you and for her!!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Hi Friend! I am so sorry about this issue with Claire. She does look super cute for sure. You are strong and will get through this. So glad Josh is right by your side. You are all in our prayers. Offer it to God and allow this to help all of your grow in your faith. Trust, trust, trust. We love you girl and can't wait to meet Claire soon!

Courtney Squillante said...

Oh Erin! I just can't imagine what you are going through! I will pray for you guys! In the meantime I can babysit Claire during a crying spell if you need a break! For real!!

Brooke LaBouve said...

Erin, I'll be praying for your family! 6 weeks will hopefully go by quickly and she will adjust soon! Take care of yourself! Lots of love, and prayers coming your way!!!

Lisa and Ryan said...

Hey Erin! I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Having a newborn definitley is super hard and adding this to it doesn't help. Just know that it is very normal to feel overwhelmed. I remember being SOO overwhelmed with Addyson when she was first born and she cried pretty much 20 hours a day for the first month. She had a severe milk allergy and was in the hospital right at a month- so I can understand your feelings of just getting through 6 weeks and now this. I was so overwhelmed and definitely a zombie at that point. But please know that this too shall pass and you can get through it! Rely on friends and family to help you out when you need it. Take care- I wish you were closer and I would definitely help watch her some!! She is super adorable! Your doctor sounds great and that is really nice that he is offering to be available like that.