Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Guardian Angels...

On Sunday, my wonderful, beautiful, selfless grandmother went to Heaven surrounded by her 3 daughters and her husband, Pom, of 70 years. Wow. I was doing fine until I typed that sentence.



We were all in Houston, even my mom to visit, and she got the call that Ganny was fading fast. We dropped everything and headed to San Antonio to see her in the hospital. I got to talk to her and see her twice. She knew we were there and was reponsive. Her mind was fine, her body was failing. Her other 2 daughters came and everyone surrounded Ganny, Dorothy Merlene Anderson, with love and hugs and she squeezed our hands.



There are no words to say, nothing makes it better, just time. I want to celebrate Ganny and remember her for my daughter. I'm so sad that Claire will never meet her, but I'm so happy to know that she has a guardian angel in Heaven looking out for her, like she looked out for us , and all of my 28 years. There's not a childhood memory that doesn't involve Ganny, and Pom for that matter. She was there through everything, 3-year old dance recitals, softball and soccer games, church plays, Churchill football games watching me cheer, graduations, even in College Station...she came to everything. She never missed a moment of our lives and I'm going to miss her dearly. I'm so thankful for all the time we had, sleeping in her bed before Christmas mornings, the many Thanksgivings and her mashed potatoes, finding Easter Eggs in her yard, eating HoneyBuns and milk in the mornings with all the cousins, summers where she stayed with us and we drove her crazy singing made up songs on Shell's old keyboard and even heading to the Quadrangle to pet bunnies and deer...

To me, Ganny was the ultimate selfless and understanding person. She never judged any of her family's choices, spoke badly about anyone, or pushed her opinions. She always listened and always made time to visit family, no matter the distance, because being there for everyone was what she did best. I will love and miss you, Ganny.
Her services are next Sun/Mon and the whole family is coming in from out of state. Ganny was very loved.

7 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

I love you honey. She will be missed. :(

Jenny Jones said...

This was a very nice post and yes, she will be watching out for you all!

The Starwarsmamma said...

I'm sorry, that's so beautiful that she was surrounded by her family and so much love in her final moments. Your post made me cry cause it reminded me of my brother passing away. You never get over missing them but it's an amazing thing to say that you knew an angel who walked around on the earth.
((hugs))

Cajun Cowgirl said...

This is such a sweet post Erin. I know your Grandmother is smiling down you on and your growing little one!

ChelseaSalomone said...

Ok I cried my eyes out reading this. What a sweet post! How lucky we would all be if people could say the things about us you said about Ganny when we go. She was a special lady for sure, and like you said- watching over you in heaven. Love you!

The Thoes said...

Thinking about you and your family Erin!! I lost my Nanny in January so I know exactly how you feel at this moment. Claire will know her through all of your memories!!

Courtney Squillante said...

Ok I am totally crying. Your written words clearly show how amazing she was and how much you care for her! While you are sad and grieving down here, she is partying it up with her new wings in Heaven! Praying for you!!