Sunday, June 10, 2012

Not the 'burbs

Nooo, we don't have a backyard, or grass, or a driveway to ourselves...We may live walking distance to Sunshine Market and a Washateria... We also may live next to a Metro bus stop and a train that runs by us.  We may be city livin' in townhouse land, but we can still create a community pool/pet oasis.  Just what the summer heat ordered

Splish splash little Claire!
 Who needs a fancy community pool with a slide?
 Why yes, creature of the wild, quench your thirst here.
 Scoot around us neighbor of our shared drive, if there's room, we're having a pool day!

At least the 3-story buildings hide us from the sun!  Score.

I have been pondering a lot lately on our living situation, wondering what our next move will be, maybe next year.  Isn' it such the dilemma?  Stay in town where you love and all your friends are, OR move to the 'burbs, have a yard and sidewalks, good schools and call it a day.

Yes, there are plenty of houses in town, that cost plenty of money or are old, small and need work.  Unfortunately, we're not growing a money tree and I don't like fixing up old things.  I like things ready to be moved it.

So we're just kinda waiting it out, looking into different neighborhoods, some far, some closer, trying to decide what's best for Claire.  The only thing I don't want is Josh spending over 2 hours a day communting everyday and missing out on her seeing her at night.

So, until we decide either way, driveway parties will be all the rage!

6 comments:

Cajun Cowgirl said...

She's so adorable. Gosh I cannot say it enough! We've been having the should we move back toward the city debate ourselves!

Erin+Josh said...

Oh really?.I'd love to hear you're reasons! Its such a conundrum

Kelly Jean said...

I hear Buffalo is really nice!!

BT said...

Aw don't feel bad and take all the time you need looking for a home! Although I'm not pregnant yet I've wrestled with this myself while we've been TTC. I have finally decided and become more comfortable with the fact that we will probably have to be living in a townhouse the first couple years of our baby's life. We just graduated law school a year ago with major student loan debt with a monthly payment that is literally two mortgages! So although sometimes I feel sad that we won't have a backyard or sidewalk to call our own, I look at the positives just like you. Shades from the others .. AND no yard work! Which means more time with baby and hubby! And if you're in the East coast like me, that is great news in the winter time - let somebody else shovel that snow! if something needs repairing ... call the landlord and let them fix it! So enjoy the townhouse living while you can and look at the positives. Soon, you will have your own house ... be it this year or next year! One thing I'm learning is life never happens in the order we "plan." :)

Katie said...

Erin-
Hope this does not come across as stalker-ish, but the world is too small and I had to comment. I stumbled across your blog (from Chelsea's, a friend at A&M) back when you were pregnant. My husband and I are expecting our first baby (a girl) in early August. After reading for a while, you posted a pic of your husband one day who I work with at BMC. Then you posted this post, and I am pretty sure we live in the same neighborhood. We also live in a townhome, and I don't think there are that many Sunshine marts and washateria's in people's neighborhoods. haha Anyway, I just wanted to say hi! We may have to arrange to meet sometime, especially once our baby arrives. :)

Anonymous said...

Hang tight girl, the answers will come with what you should do housing wise in due time. If you jump too quickly it might be the wrong move...answers will come. My husband and I lived in an apartment for a year, a small town home for three years, then had our son, and then another three years later had our daughter. We just moved and she is one. We were there for eight years total! This house and neighborhood fits us, our priorities, and what we want for the future. I would never expect anyone to take as long as we did, but we were able to save money, and have a down payment as well as realtor and closing costs. That was a big deal! Just hang in there, everything will happen the way it should, and try not to compare yourself to friends, I can't get over some of the mini mansions in Texas. I started to take on the attitude that our lives our about our family and experiences, not how much stuff I have and how big and shiny my house and cars are. Keep the important stuff important!