Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Be my friend.

With the encouragement of a few friends, I have tried to join a few 'mom groups.'  Chelsea lives 5 hours away...so I'm on my own here, trying to meet and bond with other new moms.  I do know some in the area, and I'm making an effort to hang out.  It's not easy with a little one, plus you feel like a huge nerd, trying to be someone's new friend.

Here we are at the Library baby story time.  Claire missed the whole book and play time with her crying then eating... next time, next time... Erica and Fini met us there, but she had to leave early, so I stalked a few moms here and there, but hung my head when they all walked to lunch with the strollers and I didn't get the pity invite I was hoping.  Few more convos around the parachute, I just KNOW I'll win them over.


Next attempt to friend moms was at Baby Boot Camp at Memorial City mall.  There were a few interested, I courted them, made small talk... but no digits yet (emails more like it).  It was actually really fun, Claire was semi-bad again, but the instructor was nice enough to take her off my hands so I could do the work-outs.  I am going to be SO SORE! Since I did ZERO working out my whole pregnancy.

 She finally fell asleep during end stretches... HA! Then promptly woke up when I wanted to go shopping ...bleh.

 Just so you know... I really do have friends, really good friends in fact.  It's making new ones that I can share more baby talk with that I'm trying for, and it's so freakin' awkward!  I wanna laugh out loud and just be like, "Hey, BE MY FRiEND. I like you!" Then they'll probably run their stroller in the other direction... I've gotta be cool about this...let's not scare them...

I'll just be patient and keep participating.... I may be a huge loser... but this little gal, with hair a'blazin' (her toupee, if you will) will win them over fo sho.

8 comments:

ChelseaSalomone said...

I laughed so hard at so many parts of this. All so true.

Dirk & Christina Dunlap said...

Dirk wanted to make me a play date card "like business cards" to hand out at these things in Singapore. Something like: My name is Dylan, my mommy is really cool! If you want to play give us a call?? -- I almost think it is a good idea :) I find that you just have to be pushy and invite yourself... we need to meet up for lunch or a stroll in the park soon!

Courtney Squillante said...

Oh man- this is so true!! And the more of a "regular" you become the more likely you will pick up that invite! You can come play with us! We love playdates!! :)

Dianna said...

This is hilarious!! I am actually starting a playgroup for one Saturday a month for working moms in my area. Our first one is this Saturday and I am so worried no one will come!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Way to go E! And who could resist cutie pie Claire and her awesome Momma!

I want to be your friend too! So call me anytime! Except I can no longer strap W to my chest and walk to a bar!

The Kerr Family said...

This is so true!! You can play with us anytime!! Next time we have a playdate, I will let you know.

Kate Robinson said...

We will be your friend!!! not so much lately because it has been nuts... but i usually have playdates at my house all the time! and I have four mommy friends all due with their seconds over the next 2-3 months... and then one that is around yours' age... let me know if you ever want to come play with us!!! And you may or may not remember me from A&M... but I think you at least know my hubby and his friends and of course one of my really good friends Ashley...

Kelly Jean said...

You are to friggin funny. I'm the same way. Feel so awkward, like new girl in high school haha. But you are so pretty and funny, after a few sessions they will SURELY be begging you to join them for lunch!